Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Google - Can You See What I See?

I've always been a bit of a technophile, being obsessed and excited about the direction of the industry and this new bit of technology being developed by Google is no different. Bringing us an "augmented reality head mounted display" edging us further into the realms of science-fiction.
Is he looking into the future?
(Credit: Stephen Shankland/CNET)
This is the dream: augmented reality. Currently we have voice recognition working in unison with all the other Google commodities we've grown accustomed to, complete with video camera - all rolled into a little lens unit.





Pretty close to the future I've always dreamed about, only with less hoverboards, hovercars and jetpacks. Recently at the Google I/O conference they demonstrated a more extreme use of the video conferencing features, showcasing live feed from each Project Glass lens unit. 



It's definitely interesting but I don't know how many people would ever buy into this type of technology. It doesn't seem mass marketable but definitely appeals to the type of person that forks out money for Apple technology.

I can definitely see myself using it to bother my friends with the inane things I would find on my walks around the city - but thinking of it in broader terms: if you're on holiday you could Google Hangout with your friends, all across the world, and show them live feeds of concerts/events/other such spectacles (I'm sure there would be legal issues).

Overall, I'd say I'm hyped for it. But at $1,500 (US) a pop, we may have to wait for a mass-marketed version! Let's have more of this "futurism" sent our way - hoverboards next?

No comments:

Post a Comment